President Trump says immigration raids starting 'fairly soon'
Reuters/JONATHAN ERNST U.S. President Trump waves after arriving in Morristown, New Jersey
July 5 (Reuters) - President Donald Trump said on Friday mass deportation roundups would begin "fairly soon" as U.S. migrant advocates vowed their communities would be "ready" when immigration officers come.
Trump, who has made a hardline immigration stance a key issue of his presidency and 2020 re-election bid, postponed the operation last month after the date was leaked, but on Monday he said it would take place after July 4.
"They'll be starting fairly soon, but I don't call them raids, we're removing people, all of these people who have come in over the years illegally," he told reporters at the White House on Friday.
#immigration #swedenberg #realdonaldtrump #uscitizenshiptest
Since leaving government, Thomas Homan has been a regular guest on Fox News to discuss immigration issues. | Evan Vucci/AP Photo
Former ICE official Homan surprised by Trump’s ‘border czar’ announcement
By TED HESSON 06/14/2019 03:50 PM EDT Updated 06/14/2019 08:57 PM EDT
President Donald Trump’s pick to become “border czar” was surprised to be name-checked by the president Friday, according to a person familiar with the situation.
During a lengthy phone interview on “Fox & Friends,” Trump said he will bring back former acting Immigration and Customs Enforcement Director Thomas Homan for a new border role.
The public attention caught Homan off-guard, and it's not yet clear he’ll take the job, the person said.
“Tom Homan’s coming back,” Trump said Friday. “He’s going to be very much involved with the border.”
#Immigration #Donald Trump #ImmigrationNewsToday #UScitizenshipTestUScitizenshipTest
Immigration official looks to step up family deportations
(U.S. Army photo by 2nd Lt. Corey Maisch)
WASHINGTON - The new top immigration official signaled Tuesday his agency is looking to step up deportations of families who are in the United States illegally, actions that would likely run into logistical hurdles and face strong public opposition.
Mark Morgan, acting director of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, said the agency would continue to prioritize deportations of people who have criminal histories, but that no one should be exempt from enforcement.
Photo by Win McNamee/Getty Images
Trump pushes out head of largest immigration agency — and wants Ken Cuccinelli instead
The move is a loss for dedicated immigration hawks — and a win for Trump loyalists.
By Dara Linddara@vox.com May 25, 2019, 11:31am EDT
President Donald Trump, continuing his purge of the Department of Homeland Security, has pushed out the head of US Citizenship and Immigration Services — the agency responsible for legal immigration into the US, including asylum — and reportedly plans to replace him with former Virginia attorney general Ken Cuccinelli.
L. Francis Cissna, who was confirmed as USCIS director by the Senate in 2017, emailed USCIS employees Friday that “at the request of the president” he had submitted his resignation effective June 1.
Why Trump’s Immigration Speech is a Game-Changer
“Even before the president did a microphone check for his immigration and border security speech in the White House Rose Garden Thursday afternoon, his critics were saying they hated his plan,” James Carafano writes. “Good. That means he must be more right than wrong.” President Trump outlined his proposal for reforming America’s broken immigration system this week, transforming “the legal system first to one bringing in workers based on merit.”
The new plan would eliminate loopholes and create new resources for border security. It will shift focus to skill-based system.
May 12, 2019
With a question about American citizenship at the forefront of public discourse, try your hand at completing a sample citizenship test. Click on the button and scroll down for the test.
House asks judge to halt Trump border wall funding
By JOSH GERSTEIN 04/23/2019 08:12 PM EDT Updated 04/23/2019 10:08 PM EDT
The House of Representatives has asked a federal judge to block President Donald Trump’s plan to build a border wall using Defense Department funds.
On Tuesday, House lawyers requested that U.S. District Court Judge Trevor McFadden issue a preliminary injunction against the Trump administration’s plan to spend about $6 billion from military construction and counter-drug accounts to build additional barriers along the U.S-Mexico border.
More than half of the money for President Donald Trump's border wall the House is seeking to block is linked to an emergency declaration issued in February. | Guillermo Arias/AFP/Getty Images #Trump #Legal #USCIS
Trump’s sanctuary city idea could help migrants stay in the US
Move would put migrants in cities that would be welcoming to them, and would be more likely to rebuff federal officials carrying out deportation orders
According to new research from Syracuse University, Trump’s move would put thousands of migrants in cities not only welcoming to them, but more likely to rebuff federal officials carrying out deportation orders.
© 2019 Guardian News & Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved.
Migrants making their way to El Paso Sun Metro buses after being dropped off in downtown El Paso by Immigration and Customs Enforcement late in the afternoon on Christmas day. Photograph: Paul Ratje/Getty Images
BY CEDAR ATTANASIO AND ASTRID GALVAN ASSOCIATED PRESS
APRIL 02, 2019 07:42 PM, UPDATED APRIL 02, 2019 07:43 PM
US expands ‘catch and release’ amid surge in migrants
EL PASO, Texas
The surge of migrant families arriving at the southern border has led the Trump administration to dramatically expand a practice President Donald Trump has long mocked as "catch and release."
With immigrant processing and holding centers overwhelmed, the administration is busing people hundreds of miles inland and releasing them at Greyhound stations and churches in cities like Albuquerque, San Antonio and Phoenix because towns close to the border already have more than they can handle.